It is undisputed that apart from the working table the sitting workplace still forms the basis of every office furnishing, respectively home workplace, that we are not designed for sitting for extended periods of time, and will also in future assume a dominant role.
Increasingly more employees spend their day at an office workplace and far more than half of the employees sit on work chairs that are consistent with an outdated ergonomic way of thinking. The natural need for intuitive sitting position changes is more or less prevented on such chairs. This development does not remain without consequences. As the monotonous sitting working position strains our back and is regarded as being one of the main causes for tension and back pain. Therefore, it is all the more important that office furniture brings movement to the everyday working life.
The offering of sitting furniture with promising health benefits is meanwhile very large, if not even somewhat unmanageable. The AGR principally gives recommendations for sitting furniture that does justice to the requirements for back friendly sitting. As the user requirements, usage duration and individual well-being represent important selection parameters we classify our sitting furniture recommendations into different categories, which we will address in the following:
- Standard office chairs are the "healthy basic furnishing" for every office. They have elementary adjustment possibilities without which ergonomic sitting would not be possible at all.
- Active office chairs offer more movement in the sitting position. With their multi-dimensional movable sitting surface they allow a greater number of position changes. "Active office chairs“ allow the seated person to undertake many unconscious, self organised and individually adapted position changes – as for example is the case when standing freely.
- Active chairs usually also have very movable sitting surfaces like active office chairs and bring much freedom of movement to the office table. Models are available with and without backrest, as well as variants that are very suitable for temporary application - the personal well-being as well as the application purpose is decisive for the selection. Although they do not fulfil the legislative requirements that are imposed towards office chairs, from the ergonomic perspective this however does not mean there is any disadvantage.
- Active chairs for working at standing seat workplaces (standing-sitting chairs) find their place for relief at high tables and standing desks or in production at standing seat workplaces and offer the user additional possibilities for a position change.
- Multipurpose chairs as the name already suggests are not intended for a certain purpose. They find diverse application as they are generally used where the public continually changes. For example in offices as visitor or conference chairs.
With the selection of the appropriate chair it therefore depends on where it is to be used. It is important that no sitting marathon should take place. Therefore organise your workplace so that you can integrate as much movement as possible into the everyday working life.